What is it?
Ask Gran Not Google is a FREE schools campaign to coincide with Seniors Week, to be held on 19 to 27 August. This initiative is designed as a fun student school activity encouraging intergenerational connection.
The reality is the internet has become the place to source information on pretty much everything these days. Instead of engaging in real conversation with wise seniors – who have rich life knowledge, wisdom and experience – kids go immediately online. Your participation in the Ask Gran Not Google learning project is an opportunity to affirm the importance of seniors to children, the school, and the community.
This project is all about encouraging students to tap into the wealth of knowledge our seniors hold by encouraging them to connect, by ASKING GRAN NOT GOOGLE!
Why get involved?
The more complicated the world gets, the more the simple things matter. In a highly technological age, seniors can be a vital source of information and support to young people.
Seniors can teach children positive attitudes towards ageing and help them develop skills to enhance lifelong learning in ways the internet is unable to provide.
This intergenerational exchange is just as beneficial for seniors as it can promote health outcomes and reduce depression.
Building bonds between generations affirms the value of people of all ages and encourages an increase in family and community involvement in a digital age society.
Benefits to your school
Your involvement supports closer bonds between young and old and enables your school to build a closer link with the community.
Your school will receive FREE Student Kits consisting of 2 postcards PLUS a fun temporary tattoo and pen to write their questions to seniors.
Download the Ask Gran Not Google Brochure with loads of tips and ideas for your school.
How to get started?
- Simply fill out the order form indicating how many FREE student kits you would like.
Order deadline by 9 June.
- Be sure to indicate on your order a size preference for your FREE teacher t-shirt.
- Commit to include ASK GRAN NOT GOOGLE within your classroom during Seniors Week (19-27 August) where students are allocated time to write their postcards
What sort of questions should children
ASK GRAN NOT GOOGLE?
The answer is ANYTHING they would like an answer to. For example:
- Why does hair go grey when you get older?
- Why doesn’t the moon fall down?
- Why do we need to go to sleep?
- How do big cruise boats actually stay afloat?
- Why is the sky blue?
- How do airplanes stay up?
- Why aren’t there any more dinosaurs?
- Why are there so many languages in the world?
Ask Gran Not Google order form
Complete the Ask Gran Not Google order form below to receive your FREE student kits and facilitator guides.