How to support an ageing parent to stay in their home
By Sabrina Rogers-Anderson
Most Australians prefer to stay in their own home as they grow older and ageing in place has a wide range of benefits. We look at the home care options that can help your loved one stay at home into their golden years.
Have you been debating whether your ageing parent or loved one needs assistance at home or should move into an aged care home? The answer depends on their individual circumstances, but most older Australians prefer to stay at home for as long as they
A recent survey by the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety found that 80 percent of older Australians would prefer to stay at home should they need support. And ageing in place has many benefits, including greater independence and comfort,
better access to family and friends, and reduced exposure to illness.
But what home care services are available and will they be enough to help your ageing parent thrive both physically and mentally? We take a look at the main types of home care and funding your loved one may have access to.
Home care services to support your ageing parent
There are three main categories of home care services to help your parent with all their physical, emotional and daily living needs. You can choose only the services your loved one needs and modify their care package at any time if their circumstances
- We can help your parent with tasks around their home, including:House cleaning
- House and garden maintenance
- Home-cooked meals
- Home modifications including ramps and rails
- Smart Home Technology that will make their life easier
Our dedicated and caring team can assist with:
- Bathing and personal care
- Continence assessment
- Occupational therapy
- Exercise physiology
We offer a range of services to support your ageing parent’s emotional needs, including:
- Transport to and from appointments and social events
- Technology training
- Respite care
Being a carer for an ageing parent can be extremely rewarding, but it can also be draining. Home care can help ease the load as well as your parent’s worries about burdening their family.
Government funding for home care services
For some families, cost can be a barrier to seeking out home care for an ageing loved one. The good news is that there are several government-funded packages available to help cover the costs of home care.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to accessing home care services:
- Call Feros’ Aged Care Advisory team on 1300 418 418 to discuss the assistance and services your parent might need. Our team of experts will provide you with easy-to-understand advice and help you navigate the process smoothly.
- We willadvise on the different types of funding available to your loved one – from the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) for those who only need a little support to Home Care Packages (HCP) for more complex needs.
- Check your parent’s eligibility for government-subsidised aged care services on the My Aged Care website.
- Get a free in-home assessment through My Aged Care. The Feros team can help you book this if needed. After your parent’s assessment, My Aged Care will send them a letter telling them the level of support they’re entitled to and they’ll go on a national waiting list.
- Organise an Income and Assets assessment by contacting Services Australia on 1800 227 475. This will determine any additional weekly income tested fee contributions towards your parent’s Home Care.
- Choose a provider on the My Aged Care website. There are many factors you and your parent should consider when selecting a provider – this checklist can help.
- When your parent has made it to the top of the waiting list, it will be time to start their services! Feros will assign your loved one a Wellbeing Manager who will ensure their services are tailored to their needs and regularly review their plan.
If your parent isn’t eligible for government funding or you don’t want to wait until they get to the top of the waiting list to start their services, don’t worry. We also offer private home care services.
The Feros team is here to help every step of the way.